Re: 3032 capsules on PIP

Subject: Re: 3032 capsules on PIP
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes=
2
Date: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:57 am ((PDT))

I think that it is time to put this argument about the lowest possible atta=
inable sound pressure level to rest.
There seems to be a confusion in terms and perhaps some mixing of apples & =
pomegranates.

Recall that 'dB' is a relative logarithmic measure that is useless without =
some reference level to refer to. Again, dB is always relative!
So when you say 'dBA' or 'dB-anything it is always relative to some absolut=
e reference value.=C2=A0

The commonly used reference sound pressure in air is=C2=A0=C2=A0=3D 20=C2=
=A0=C2=B5Pa=C2=A0(rms) or 0.0002 dynes/cm2,which is usually considered the=
=C2=A0threshold of human hearing.

Our reference for the relative 'dB' values here is an absolute pressure lev=
el of 20 micro Pascals.

Note the words 'usually' and 'threshold of human hearing'. This tells us th=
at 20=C2=A0=C2=B5Pa=C2=A0(rms) has been chosen as the lowest sound pressure=
 level that most people can hear, but note that the air does not stop movin=
g at that point and there can be sound pressure levels lower than that, we =
just generally can't hear them with the ears we have. But these low pressur=
e levels do exist and they become negative numbers on the 'dB' scale.

So let's say that there is a insect munching on some leaf at a distance of =
5 feet from us and the sound is measured to be at an absolute sound pressur=
e level of 10 uPa, half of the absolute level of 20 uPa. The calculation fo=
r dB SPL is: =C2=A0dB SPL =3D 20 log(Pmeas/Pref).

In this case, Pmeas =3D 10 uPa, and 20 uPa is always the reference level fo=
r dB SPL.

So let's do the math, starting with the stuff inside the parentheses and wo=
rk our way out:
10/20 =3D 0.5
log 0.5 =3D -0.3010
20 x -0.3010 =3D -6.02 dB SPL

So the sound our insect is making becomes a negative number on the dB SPL s=
cale, since it is relativeto our ear's absolute threshold of perception, bu=
t it still exists as a real sound when measured as an absolute pressure lev=
el. So that is how sound can be lower than '0' when it is measured as dB SP=
L. The corresponding absolute sound pressure level is just less than the ab=
solute reference level. No magic or slight of hand, here.

So yes! If we have sufficiently advanced alien microphone technology, we co=
uld conceivably build a mic with extremely low self noise, perhaps less tha=
n 0 dB SPL (not less than 0 uPA, though! =C2=A0 ;>] ).

Take a look at this:=C2=A0http://www.gras.dk/products/special-microphone/lo=
w-noise-measuring-systems/40hf-1-low-noise-mic-system.html
Be sure to download the complete manual and looks at all of the graphs.
Remarkable!!

Oh, let's now address the thermal noise of the air.
I suspect that in absolute measurement terms, the thermal noise of the air =
is very much lower than the absolute value of 20 uPA. Like, way lower.

Can someone please help out and provide the equations to calculate the 'the=
rmal noise of the air' in absolute terms, i.e., in uPa?
Please give a good description as to what all of this means, too.

I've been looking for this for some time and the search engines are too dum=
b to find me the correct references.

Thanks!

Have a great day,
Greg