Re: 3032 capsules on PIP

Subject: Re: 3032 capsules on PIP
From: picnet2
Date: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:46 am ((PDT))
Hi Dan,           Also mailed off list re: options. My first observation
relates to the Zoom H2. Ive converted my Zoom H2 and also the Roland R26
removing the mic capsules and installing sockets for a portable 4 channel
recorder. For both of those recorders the noise floor is considerably higher
than the D50 or D100 recorder. Even the D50 struggles to attain the 14 dB noise
figure for a single EM172, the additional noise from e.g the H2 would tend to
make the EM172 probably closer to 17 dBA self noise at "mid" gain setting. The
D50 + (single) EM172 is anything from 14 to 18 dB A self noise this also
explains why the AKG D230 + preamp sounds similar when compared to a single
EM172.

 - I recall making a series of measurements for Rob D in regard to the H2..

  flash back to 2010:-

 ____

 Software: DSSF3 "RA" (Registered)
 Input path: Zoom H2 via USB to Linux laptop.
 Environment: Office / Electrically noisy.
 Temperature: +24C
 Barometer: 1005 hPA.
 Calibrator SC1 referenced to Quest QC22.

 *Test #1

 EM172 -> Zoom H2 External (the normal) Mic input MID Sensitivity.

 MID: Level 100: Referenced to 94 dB

 Total noise (capsule + H2) was 22 dBA.
 Removing the capsule, terminating with 50 Ohms: 21.5 dBA

 *Test #2

 LOW: Level 100 Referenced to 94 dB
 capsule + H2 = 27.5 dBA

 "HIGH" - not possible waveform clips even using the level control. (its
digital)

 Checking best MID: Level 118 : Referenced to 94 dB
 22.5 dBA (same as level 100 really)

 Conclusion #1: MID Level 100 is the optimal External mic input configuration.

 mic cabling, Mic Gain HIGH. 94 dB does not clip on HIGH, via external mic HIGH
gain results
 in clipping.

 Conclusion #2: I observed around 6 dBA benefit via the internal mic cabling vs
the external for this capsule. (Here I refer to the EM172)
 For the terminated measurements the internal vs external noise was closer to
10 dB which is quite significant."

 _______

 H2 line input is different except mine retired a long time ago, so I was
unable to test it.

 Ive not tested the Roland R26 as detailed - I tend to use that with the sound
field rig which is practically useless in the field due to inadequate wind
screen, even in the blimp.

 Anyhow, the AT3032 is much quieter and with the D100 quite a nice portable
rig. Im currently waiting for a pair of Rycote BBGs and the stereo bar with
lyre suspensions. Ill machine a mic body from hdpe with the 3032 capsules on
the end so it fits the BBG. Hopefully it forms a decent low noise go-to PIP rig.

 BR
 -Mike.