Re: 3032 capsules on PIP

Subject: Re: 3032 capsules on PIP
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 pm ((PDT))
>           Also mailed off list re: options. My first observation relates to
> the Zoom H2. Ive converted my Zoom H2 and also the Roland R26 removing the
> mic capsules and installing sockets for a portable 4 channel recorder. For
> both of those recorders the noise floor is considerably higher than the D50
> or D100 recorder. Even the D50 struggles to attain the 14 dB noise figure for
> a single EM172, the additional noise from e.g the H2 would tend to make the
> EM172 probably closer to 17 dBA self noise at "mid" gain setting. The D50 +
> (single) EM172 is anything from 14 to 18 dB A self noise this also explains
> why the AKG D230 + preamp sounds similar when compared to a single EM172.

I used my modified (no capsules, 4-channel input) H2 at Medium gain 127 with
Telinga Clip-Ons. I believe they are dual 172 capsules, so I'd expect them to
be 6 dB hotter and 3 dB better S/N.

Due to the extreme drought in California, the two Yosemite hike-in sites where
I have been using my H2 for several years were eerily quiet; the usual Sierra
stream sound was gone. That would have enabled great listening into the
distance except I hit the wall with system noise.

-Dan