Re: Fostex FR-2LE ?

Subject: Re: Fostex FR-2LE ?
From: "Eric Benjamin" ericbenjamin2
Date: Tue May 13, 2014 5:31 pm ((PDT))
.

and David wrote:
>=C2=A0but if the mic is unbalanced, or has one leg referenced to ground, o=
r has=C2=A0
> different + and - impedances, then phantom power noise will no longer can=
cel=C2=A0

In what follows, I'm not trying to start an argument, but rather have a dis=
cussion on what's causing the observed problem.

I think that we are all speaking of microphones which have unbalanced signa=
l outputs but the output impedance is intended to be balanced. =C2=A0There =
are numerous examples such as the Oktava MK-012 and the DPA 4011. =C2=A0The=
 circuitry of each of these drives only pin 2 of the XLR but pin 3 is termi=
nated by a resistor in series with a capacitor to mimic the output impedanc=
e of the active side. =C2=A0Power for the microphone is derived by equal va=
lue resistors from pin 2 and pin 3 to a filter circuit to reduce the noise,=
 thus determining the DC part of the output impedance. =C2=A0These two exam=
ples should draw equal current from each half of the phantom power circuit.

Not only that, but in every phantom power implementation that I've seen, th=
ere is a single 48 V supply which then feeds two 6k8 resistors attached to =
pins 2 and 3. =C2=A0Drawing more or less current from the phantom supply mi=
ght result in a change in the amount of noise in the phantom supply, but it=
 should still be the same in each leg.

So the only means that I can see by which microphone imbalance could cause =
an increase in observed noise is if there is an imbalance in the AC compone=
nt of the differential output impedance of the microphone.