Re: Sony PCM-D100

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-D100
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes=
2
Date: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:05 am ((PDT))

Yes, I see the Avisoft test results, which one can only assume were conduct=
ed using the stereo mini-jack mic input.

Note that the Avisoft specs the EIN=C2=A0measurement at 150 ohms. But the t=
ypical PIP electret capsule has an output impedance of several Kilo-ohms, s=
o one would expect a larger effective EIN when using such mics. I would als=
o expect that to happen for any of the recorders tested there when using PI=
P mics.

So that means order to benefit from this EIN spec, one needs to use quality=
 studio mics with an outboard phantom supply with good enough specs to not =
degrade the signal path. Not an easy thing to do.

The PCM-D100 Brochure states that the=C2=A0equivalent SPL of the mics' inpu=
t noise=C2=A0is 19 dBA, which is OK but not very good for quiet nature envi=
ronments.
The other question is whether or not the built-in mics give decent imaging =
in natural environments.

All of this implies that in order to get the lowest noise recordings, one n=
eeds to add an excellent outboard mic preamp, such as one from Sound Device=
s, to a pair of quality condenser mics and then use the line input of the D=
100 (do we have specs on that input?). When you add the cost of the mic pre=
amp to the cost of the D100, it gets close to the cost of a used Sound Devi=
ces recorder. So I personally don't see any advantage to using the D100 wit=
h an outboard preamp and the extra cables and batteries.

However, a friend of mine gets excellent results using his Sony PCM-M10 alo=
ng with a used SD MixPre feeding the line input. This combo is cheaper than=
 the cost of the D100 unit. But I prefer just using my FR-2LE or my DR-680 =
since there is no need for outboard gear.

I have used Sony products for many years and I have gotten very good result=
s, so I am not bashing Sony, just the D100 feature set relative to the econ=
omics.
The lack of balanced inputs and phantom power on the D100 makes no sense to=
 me given its other enhancements.

BTW, is DSD a 'must have' feature and how does it improve the sound? What e=
diting SW can deal with DSD?
Also, does engaging PIP on the D100 degrade the measured Avisoft EIN spec?=
=C2=A0

Thanks,
Greg