Re: Hello, Thank You, a short (?) introduction - parabolas

Subject: Re: Hello, Thank You, a short (?) introduction - parabolas
From: "Gerrit" gerritjanbeumer
Date: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:19 pm ((PST))
David, Dan,=0D
=0D
Thnx for input/sharing your knowledge!=0D
=0D
@David:=0D
Which recordings do you refer to for example? Did I pick it up right that y=
ou are somewhat sceptical as to the claimed specs of the wildtronic? =0D
@All:=0D
How would you advise me to go about in deciding between the Telinga /wildtr=
onics given that I cannot attend the nature sound recording venue this summ=
er and would like to use the parabola upcoming bird-choir season (some have=
 already started in my neighboorhood (Netherlands, very mild winter)?=0D
=0D
Thnx in advance for your input!=0D
Kind regards=0D
Gerrit=0D
=0D
=0D
Gerrit Beumer=0D
+31(0)6 5374 1198=0D
=0D
On 17 feb. 2014, at 03:37,  wrote:=0D
=0D
> > We'll focus them on the same point a few hundred feet away, and make a =
multi-track recording of some noise passes.=0D
> =0D
> Dan, =0D
> =0D
> That would be very interesting especially with a reasonably constant soun=
d =0D
> source which is why I shake peanuts. :-) =0D
> =0D
> The Wildtronic recordings I've heard so far have all been over-recorded w=
ith =0D
> peak limiting and with auto level control actively "pumping" and sometime=
s =0D
> even with peak enharmonic (grumbling) distortion. Some parts are free of =
=0D
> these effects, but I'll keep banging on about how you don't need to recor=
d =0D
> anywhere near 100%. I was listening at -12dBs and checking audible =0D
> cross-modulation distortion with audiograms. =0D
> =0D
> I'm curious about the quoted 4dB noise figure - compared with what? It ca=
n't =0D
> be with free air as it isn't in free air. It's in a higher impedance =0D
> environment. Does the thermal noise of the air also get amplified by the =
=0D
> parabola? =0D
> =0D
> David Brinicombe=0D