Re: Distortions when recording tibetan singing bowls/gongs

Subject: Re: Distortions when recording tibetan singing bowls/gongs
From: "Aaron L. Rosenblum" hank_recordings
Date: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 pm ((PDT))
Has anyone experienced ultrasound distortion with insect recordings? It
seems perfectly possible, and this summer I made a recording of a field at
sunset that was positively alive with crickets and other buzzy things. The
recordings have a loud buzz that was not audible IRL and doesn't seem to
have come from any nearby equipment (there was a house A/C unit in the
distance, and it's audible as you would expect). There seemed to be a
certain amount of axis sensitivity to the distortion. I puzzled over it for
a while and wondered what kind of electromagnetic potential insects have.
But ultrasound having an effect on the mics sounds much more likely.

Also, to the original post, I have certainly experienced clipping or
distortion with loud signals while recording with my Tascam set in high
sensitivity mode (of three modes), with the more granular level control set
pretty low to avoid (so I thought) clipping. The solution for me was to
change to a lower sensitivity setting (the -20dB pad in your case, I guess)
and then modulate the more granular level setting from there as need be.

Aaron

> I once spent two months recording Tibetans in the Zanskar Valley and am
> now
> involved in ultrasound with bat recording. My guess is that it is
> ultrasound
> distortion in the mic or input stage from the percussive instruments. Thi=
> is not included in the spec of most mics.
> David Brinicombe

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: