Re: DPA 4060s, blimps and wind noise

Subject: Re: DPA 4060s, blimps and wind noise
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Sat May 25, 2013 7:49 am ((PDT))
No need to go for tubing, Nick. Solid 12-gauge copper wire like that used f=
or household AC wiring is plenty rigid to support 4060s, and easier to posi=
tion. I would worry about whistling with any kind of hollow pipe or tubing,=
 though the ends could be plugged.

We attached the wire to the internal C-clips of the Rycote with nylon ties,=
 and wrapped a rubber band around each end of the wire, then slipped each 4=
060 under a couple of loops of the rubber band. Lightweight, rigid but adeq=
uately malleable.

We did not use Connboxes, just the regular 4060 Microdot-teminated cables o=
n the 4060s and two short skinny XLR3 cables for the Sennheiser MS pair. A =
tight squeeze on the exit port of the Rycote, but it all fit. I don't know =
if you'd have enough room inside the blimp to securely tether the DPAs' Mic=
rodot-to-XLR adapter barrels to connect with the Connbox. But if you're not=
 trying to make it cohabit with an MS pair like we did, there's probably pl=
enty of room inside the blimp.

--Flawn

On May 25, 2013, at 7:31 AM,  wrote:

> 2a. Re: DPA 4060s, blimps and wind noise
>    Posted by: "Nick Dando"  =
rld.com
>    Date: Fri May 24, 2013 6:53 am ((PDT))
>
> Thanks for the reply, Flawn.
>
> I wonder whether a suitable length of copper pipe (an off-cut from a plum=
ber) would do the trick? Or possibly a length of steel tubing, which would =
allow the use of the magnetic clips? Or would the hollow ends possibly act =
as a sort of flute, with the wind over the open end giving off a low-pitche=
d note? I have the old-style C-clips, rather than the current Lyre clips in=
 both of my blimps.

> Did you use one of the Rycote Connboxes to connect up the XLR leads? The =
very thin DPA cables that came with the 4060 Stereo Kit are very long and I=
'd need to find something a good deal shorter to link the mikes to, what I =
believe would be suitable, the 019624 Connbox 3, to help minimise cable-han=
dling noise. I can't see from the specifications given by Rycote on their w=
eb page as to whether the Connbox 3 has a 5-pin XLR output or if it uses tw=
o 3-pins.