Re: Introducing and asking for help

Subject: Re: Introducing and asking for help
From: "Drew Panko" Drew_Panko
Date: Tue May 14, 2013 4:17 am ((PDT))
Davide,

I accept that the Fostex is better....but find that the Sony is "good enoug=
h",
and has its own advantages (size, weight, battery life).  I find that the
recorder quality is seldom the limiting factor in recording quality - the
surrounding sonic ambiance and the mic is.

I own and have used both Sennheisers.  They are excellent.

But when it comes to getting a decent recording of a specific bird in the
field with all the complications, the directionality and "amplification" of
the parabolic is unbeatable.  The big downside is lugging it around.
I am generally limited to recording/walking for 2 hours, before needing
a rest, and for a total of about 5 hours during a day.  But I am an
old fart and am doing it for recreation.  I am also convinced that often
raising and pointing a Telinga will spook a singing bird but  the
Sennheisers may as well.

I have not been able to convince myself that frequency response is a
problem in the field.  Once I found the sounds of a calling grouse on
a recording made with the Telinga that I had not heard in the field.  But
my ears have suffered the ravages of 70+ years.  Also the frequency
response is mainly a difference between the proportion of energy absorbed
at low frequencies relative to higher frequencies.  This could be critical =
but
will you be comparing the volume of the various frequencies over a range
large enough to matter?  I find that the main part of a bird's song actuall=
occurs in a fairly narrow range - ignoring harmonics.  My guess you'll
not need to be comparing the volume of the 500hz sound with the volume
of the 3000hz sound from the same vocalization.  In this  kind of
situation the parabolic will induce a larger detector bias than the
Sennheisers would.  But this "distortion" will be constant if the
recordings are made
from the same mic.  Distance from the source and reflection and
transmission properties of the environment will introduce their own
complications in different situations in any case.

...My 2 cents worth.

Drew