iRig output to stereo mini-jack at two different levels

Subject: iRig output to stereo mini-jack at two different levels
From: "ben_micklem" ben_micklem
Date: Mon May 13, 2013 7:23 am ((PDT))
Dear Group,

I joined the group today, and have an interest in wildlife film making and =
sound recording (but I have yet to do much of either). I have been taking s=
tills of wildlife for about 12 years.

Firstly, the question:

As I am using a mono output from the (hacked) iRig Pre into the Sony M10. I=
 was wondering whether it is possible to wire-up a pad circuit inside the i=
Rig to output a second channel (into a stereo minijack) at a lower level; a=
s the Sony can record two channels on its input jack.

My knowledge of electronics is not where it should be to enable me to figur=
e out if this is possible without affecting the main channel signal level.

Now the background for those interested:

I've bought various bits and pieces to put together a recording system on a=
 tight budget.

The basic components I have bought are:

(Very) cheap 1970's Sennheiser MKH 415T
Tuchel 12V to 48V Phantom XLR adapter cable
iRig Pre
Sony PCM-M10
(along with a boom, Rycote InVision shockmount, Rode WS-7 windshield)

When I was looking into recorders, I was attracted to many features of the =
Tascam DR-40. After I realised the iRig would probably give me a cleaner pr=
e-amp than the DR-40, the Sony recorder rose to the top of the list. Howeve=
r, the DR-40 has a really nice dual-level recording feature, where it takes=
 one input channel and converts to digital at two different levels, one att=
enuated by 8-16 dB (IIRC), to enable you to rescue clipped parts of a recor=
ding. I was wondering whether there is a way to do this in hardware with th=
e Sony M10.