Re: tripods

Subject: Re: tripods
From: "Max Catterwell" =
rnet.com
Date: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 am ((PST))

Hi Peter
Well no you don't, and I do the same as you with my parallel (a la Rob Dani=
elson) rig. I use one of these (see link below) which I picked up new for =
=A310 a few years ago, one of best buys I've ever had. The build quality is=
 superb; equally as good if not better than my Manfrottos. The legs can be =
splayed for unshakeable stability (I use it for macro photography), and it =
comes with case and tools. BUT due to it's weight, I wouldn't take it on a =
plane, I'd take string.
Cheers
Max

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00193YD32/ref=3Dmw_dp_img?is=3Dl

Sent from my iPod

On 27 Feb 2013, at 17:30, Peter Shute <> wrote:

> Do you need a head on the tripod at all? I ended up removing mine, saving=
 a lot of weight, and I screw the SASS straight on. It's handy to be able t=
o adjust the legs on uneven ground, so it's better than the three sticks.

to:>> wrote:

> Hi Nick
> Yes, me too. I have some fairly hefty astronomical scopes, in addition to=
 my birding scopes. These are virtually indispensable for their purpose, bu=
t the requirements for supporting a mic would in no way come close to this =
category. If people don't like the idea of sticks, they can pick up small t=
ripods with pan and tilt heads for ten or fifteen quid that are much more t=
han adequate for the purpose. All I would say is, unless you're overloaded =
with cash, don't waste your money.

axcatterwell%40o2.co.uk>> wrote:

>>> Hi all
>>> I have admit this thread has me very worried. It seems that consumerism=
 has run rampant over all of it. Why anybody would spend the vast sums of m=
oney being talked about here, on something so basic as a tripod, is beyond =
me. It's gadgetry gone mad. I don't dispute the necessity of a tripod for u=
sing a telescope on for example; I have a few I've collected over the years=
, but for supporting a mic? May I propose to the honourable members the sim=
ple expedient of a pocket knife and piece of string? Cut three lengths of w=
ithy about a foot longer than the required height, this being the point at =
which point you bind them together. Splay the legs apart and rest mic/zep i=
n between the crutch formed on top; job done. If you leave 2-3 feet of stri=
ng running from the seizing, you can loop this over the mic/zep to hold in =
place if required. You don't need the excellent Ashley Book of Knots (one o=
f the best things that ever came out of America) to do this job, it's simpl=
icity itself.

o:sounds.images%40yahoo.com>> wrote:

> [...]
otographic light stand but goes from 49 to 190cm so easy to transport and s=
mall enough to be part of hand luggage if flying.
although worth looking at Giottos too.