Re: xeno-canto developments

Subject: Re: xeno-canto developments
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:11 pm ((PST))
I'm glad to hear that these kinds of things are being planned. But what exa=
ctly is meant by "draw a box around a signal"? If you mean drawing on a spe=
ctrogram then I'm certainly in favour of that. Soundcloud's ability to plac=
e a timed comment was a step forward, but they appear to have no intention =
of ever supporting spectrograms.

Where do the spectrograms I see on Xeno Canto come from? Are they auto gene=
rated, or do people create them and upload them? How would you deal with sp=
ectrograms for half hour recordings?

Are you encouraging the uploading of ambient recordings with lots of specie=
s in them?

Peter Shute