Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66

Subject: Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 am ((PST))
Hi Peter

I like my Rode Blimp. I got it for US$200 plus shipping on eBay (new produc=
t) but I don't see it at that price now. US$300 is the normal price so $240=
 seems pretty good.

I use it mostly with the Rode NT4, and it is not perfect. Some wind does ge=
t through it in high wind situations. But not enough to clip the recorder, =
so I've been able to filter the little bit out later.

It might work better with the ME66 since the NT4 is such a bulky microphone=
 and the capsules end up pretty close to the body of the blimp. I was using=
 my ME66 in its foam with a Windcutter furry thing over the foam, alongside=
 the NT4 in the blimp, and the amount of wind infiltration was about equal,=
 so I would guess the ME66 would have been much better than the NT4 in the =
blimp.

My only complaint about the Blimp is how big it is. Maybe they are all like=
 that, and maybe it is necessary to have a large diameter to the blimp, but=
 I was not expecting it and almost sent the thing back when this gigantic b=
ox arrived!

The NT4 is almost unuseable outside without a blimp. The ME66 does pretty w=
ell without it. Personally, for me the blimp would not be worth it for the =
ME66. The foam/furrything works well enough.

Hope this is some help!

John

--- In  Peter Shute  wrote:

> I've been using my ME66 with the foam cover it came with and a furry cove=
r over that. It's not bad, but very noisy at higher wind speeds (20 or 30km=
ph?)

> Can I expect a huge improvement if I get a blimp cover? And does it still=
 need a furry cover over it?

> I see the Rode Blimp with shock mount available in Australia for $239, pl=
us $49 for the Rode Dead Wombat furry cover. Are these prices ok, and is th=
is model ok?