Re: How do you read the Microphone Input Noise Comparison chart?

Subject: Re: How do you read the Microphone Input Noise Comparison chart?
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:13 am ((PST))
Hi

I'm not sure but I think you might be confusing microphone noise and preamp=
 noise. The avisoft list compares the preamps, not the built-in microphones=
. The quietest preamps are at the top of the list, the noisiest at the bott=
om.

My understanding is that the PCM-M10 does have the quietest built-in microp=
hones of any portable, but not the best stereo image because they are omni =
mics. The preamps on the PCM-M10 are pretty good, and among the best for a =
small, portable recorder, along with the LS-5/10/11 line.

All the recorders above the M10 and LS 5/10/11 on the chart are larger, hea=
vier devices (except the discontinued Sony Hi-MD).

John

--- In  "ambient_jungle"  wrote:

> Sorry if this is really a basic understanding for most of you, but I need=
 to ask...

> How do you read the Microphone Input Noise Comparison chart at http://www=
.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

> As, I am researching to see what would be the best recorder I can buy nex=
t for my budget, I would like to know some of the specs of the different re=
corders they have listed, but don't really know what I am looking at in tho=
se charts.

> Example...
> I've heard a lot of people go on about Sony's PCM M10's low noise ability=
 - which I owned for a short time.

> Yet the Olympus ls-14 on that chart has numbers, most which are lower tha=
n the Sony's PCM M10, yet when I tested that device IMO, it was nosier than=
 the Olympus LS-11