Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66

Subject: Re: Blimp wind cover for ME66
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:59 am ((PST))
Hi Robin,

I agree with you regarding the ME66. I don't feel the need for a blimp. The=
 Windcutter/foam works well.

Based on my contentment with the Windcutter for the ME66 I bought a Windcut=
ter furry thing for the NT4 but what I found is that wind creeps in behind =
the foam/fur cover and blows out the capsules anyway because the NT4 foam w=
indscreen is very loose in back (it's a funny shape having to cover two cap=
sules in XY configuration and therefore does not form a tight seal). Rather=
 than mess with trying to build my own screen that would seal the back of t=
he capsules, I opted for the blimp, and I don't regret it, but it is much b=
ulkier than I like and I'd rather have a simpler way to protect the NT4. I'=
ve tried keeping it low, but no matter what, the tiniest light breeze blows=
 out the NT4 capsules unless it's in the blimp.

John

--- In  "Robin"  wrote:

> John Crockett wrote:
>
> > It might work better with the ME66 since the NT4 is such a bulky microp=
hone and the capsules end up pretty close to the body of the blimp. I was u=
sing my ME66 in its foam with a Windcutter furry thing over the foam, along=
side the NT4 in the blimp, and the amount of wind infiltration was about eq=
ual, so I would guess the ME66 would have been much better than the NT4 in =
the blimp.

> > My only complaint about the Blimp is how big it is. Maybe they are all =
like that, and maybe it is necessary to have a large diameter to the blimp,=
 but I was not expecting it and almost sent the thing back when this gigant=
ic box arrived!

> > The NT4 is almost unuseable outside without a blimp. The ME66 does pret=
ty well without it. Personally, for me the blimp would not be worth it for =
the ME66. The foam/furrything works well enough.

> Since the added bulk of a blimp annoys me, I compromised on using Windcut=
ter type furry sleeves on their own, directly over the foam casing. Even wi=
th very sensitive omni microphones I have observed an incredible reduction =
in wind noise, getting useful recordings even in continuous gusting gales. =
As a bonus, these are very inexpensive direct from cottage industry manufac=
turers.

> Certainly a blimp would be better but only the largest and heaviest / mos=
t robust would make a significant difference, I imagine.

> Of course every situation is different. How you mount the mic has a lot t=
o do with how much wind exposure it gets. I favour a low tripod so the mic =
can be close to the ground. This is easier to achieve without a big blimp.