3. Re: iRig pre

Subject: 3. Re: iRig pre
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Sat Jan 5, 2013 6:24 am ((PST))
> Hi Raimund,
> a few days ago I posted a comparative file for IrigPre Vs. Art Phantom 2 =
Pro Power 48v, both fed the AT3032. Below are the links to the results (swf=
 and wave files) which, however, if not equal, seem to be a bit in favor of=
 the IRigPre. I used a Sony M10 with IRigPre on Line IN and ArtPhantom2Pro =
on Mic IN, matched direcly during recording, no in post production.
> On this practical test it seems the IrigPre perfoms not so bad.
> Am I wrong in something, some connection or something else?

Hi Marco,

I agree that there is no big difference between the two in your test.

I measured the EIN value of -113 dBu in conjunction with a Samsung Galaxy S=
II smart phone. So, it might be that there was really an additional noise c=
omponent originating from the poor input of the phone, which could mean tha=
t the performance of the iRig alone is actually better than that -113 dBu v=
alue.

Another thing to consider is the noise voltage of microphone. According to =
the specs it should be -110 dBu (19.9 mV/Pa, 16 dBA). That 3 dB difference =
(in conjunction with the smart phone) would cause only a relatively small o=
verall noise floor degradation.

Regards,
Raimund