Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-14 initial thoughts
From: "Arn=FE=F3r Helgason"
Date: Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:29 am ((PST))
Hello, everyone.

Here in Iceland I have been dealing with the problems of recording
ambient sounds. They are mostly rather low. Birds are often too far away
to get a loud sound and therefore you need to set the volume up. Then
the preamps produce some noise.

I have tested some small recorders like Nagra Ares-M and Olympus LS-11.
All of them produce some noise and by using some preamps I could
decrease it a little, but it was always there.

I often carry my LS-11 with me and do some recordings. But I use it
rather seldom in a quiet environment as the noise then gets through. But
when recording in the city and close to some noisy things or nearby a
raven, it makes sense to use this tiny recorder. A dead chicken from
Rode has solved some of my windproblems.
Please look at this:
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=3DArnthor%20Helgason
The chimes at the old railwaystation in Beijing play The East is Red. It
was recorded on April 3 2012. It was quite windy.

In 2007 I bought a Nagra Ares BB+. My experience is that by using some
microphones with low noise ae the Rode NT-1a and NT-2a, you get the most
out of the recorder. A preamp always seems to add some noise, as for
instance SD-302, which is though believed to be a reasonable amplifier.

All the best.

Arnthor Helgason

http://hljod.blog.is - Icelandic Soundblog