Re: iRig pre

Subject: Re: iRig pre
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:26 pm ((PST))
David,

It will take more time than I have, to look up any suitable sound
files.  Several years back many of us tried the LOW-10 trick, we
found that LOW-10 was about the equivalent signal-loudness as HIGH 3
or 4, but that the HIGH sensitivity gave more grainy hiss than did
the LOW sensitivity, once the signal levels had been matched.  Of
course this had to be proven indoors using a ticking clock or
whatever, and using small electret mics and also Sennheiser ME series
mics.  (If you have an LS10 it would be easy for you to test out.)

However with LOW-10 you may sometimes be struggling to get a strong
enough signal, in which case you would then switch to HIGH.  Anything
more than HIGH-6 is starting to get too hissy though.

When researching the calls of the (critically endangered) Regent
Honeyeater, I started off using LOW-10 settings but in the end I
found that HIGH-5 was a more useful setting for that particular
species which has rather soft calls.  I did not want to have to
increase the volume in post for every sound file that I had made.
Any extra noise was not of consequence as this was a species study,
using mono gun mics.  On the other hand, for Superb Lyrebirds which
have a loud call, I could make full use of the LOW-10 setting and had
lower-noise recordings than when using HIGH 3 or 4.

Vicki