Re: Tips DIY for Primo Em172

Subject: Re: Tips DIY for Primo Em172
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:12 pm ((PDT))
> Or >foolproof< techniques to make sure I don't?

Mark,

No foolproof techniques but here's a tip or two.

Use a fine tip soldering iron, if necessary filing the tip to a mm or
so at the tip. Many irons have changeable tips or if not they are
cheap enough to keep for fine jobs.

Ground the iron body for any soldering to electronic components.

Use an excess of flux. Not foolproof tip but close. :-)

Pre-tin the connectihg wire and add more flux.

Practice on something else first like a dead PCB.

If the iron is too hot and the flux boils off immediately, rest it on
an aluminium surface, eg bottom of a saucepan.

When you can make a connection in under 1 second, solder the mics.
Most components are rated to withstand 1 second at solder
temperatures.

BTW I've just looked at the Youtube tutorial and if any assistant of
mine ever made a join like that I'd shout. The iron was too hot, he
soldered with the side of the iron not the tip, took too long, and
didn't use flux. You could see the cored solder flux boil off before
it could do much good. Just one of those blunders could wreck a
capsule. And how would you insulate that join? He also made a mess of
stripping the insulation. For a neat contact, stroke the insulation
past the wire, clip through both and when you tin the wire, it will
shrink back just enough to make a neat connection.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce