Re: FLAC for Archive?

Subject: Re: FLAC for Archive?
From: "Ray Mansell" BCTess
Date: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:20 pm ((PDT))
Re FLAC vs. WAV vs MP3, etc.. Since these are simply definitions of the bit
structures that comprise the recorded sounds, then there really is no
concept of longevity. As long as you know the structure, you can write
software to decode it, and I'm pretty sure those definitions will be around
for a very long time, even if nobody actually uses them any more.

As you stated, the medium on which the structures are stored is the crucial
question. I have a pile of unused 80-column punched cards here, if anybody
is interested :-)

Ray