Re: FLAC for Archive?

Subject: Re: FLAC for Archive?
From: "mipartitus" mipartitus
Date: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:28 am ((PDT))
I think FLAC should be fine. I also use it for archiving. As Marc said, it is
only a matter of software, and the FLAC format is open, free and widely used.
Encoder/decoders will therefore likely be easily available in the future. If
you want to be 99.9% safe, download the source code of FLAC tools (
http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html ) and save it somewhere. Then you can
always convert your files, even if the internet disappears and no future audio
software supports FLAC ;-)

The advantage of WAV is that the format is so simple that you don't necessarily
need specialized software libraries to read it. But it takes up more space.

Gabriel