Re: FLAC for Archive?

Subject: Re: FLAC for Archive?
From: "Graham Meadows" gjmeadows
Date: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:24 am ((PDT))
On 25/07/12 21:11, rock_scallop wrote:
> Hi Group,
> Having recently been used the FLAC format the SD 7xx recorder for some lo=
ng duration recordings, I am faced with the issue of whether to archive the=
 original FLAC or the rendered WAV. I am fine archiving redundant copies in=
 both formats on my hard drives, but for a DVD copy this seems too much.  I=
 am inclined to archive the original FLAC, considering the possibility of g=
litches in the WAV rendering process.
> What do you think?

Personally i always archive a copy of the original file in it's original
format without any processing, however, the professional archivists
suggest all archive material be stored in a 'standard' .WAV format as
this format will be maintained for future retrieval whereas  other
formats may become obsolete.

I use flac format for 'edited' files on the hard drive as this saves on
storage space without degrading the quality.

Graham