Re: A strange noise in Rode Nt-1A and NT-2A

Subject: Re: A strange noise in Rode Nt-1A and NT-2A
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm ((PDT))
The NT1A components do not get warm enough to prevent condensation. I made =
a thermal/FLIR image of the mic some time ago and found about 2.2C differen=
ce over the board.  The 4 resistors near the HOT/COLD/Ground wires from the=
 3 pin XLR connector (4.7K,4.7K,1K,1K) were the hotest followed by a transi=
stor at 2 oclock from the bias voltage generating IC. Rest of the board was=
 at ambient temp.

-Mike.

--- In  "natureguyusa" <> =
wrote:

> Hi Arnthor,
>
> I use the Rode NT1-A microphones and have similar issues when the microph=
ones are exposed to high humidity. The moisture condenses on the large elem=
ent and essentially the mics either stop working, make a popping sound, or =
just make noise. The only thing you can do is to keep the mics as dry as po=
ssible. I use some resistive heaters (some resistors powered by a 12 volt b=
attery)on the back side of the microphone's screen, and under my windscreen=
 to heat the mic up some to stop condensation. The issues usually occur in =
the early mornings, especially if foggy. Sometimes, I just have to wait for=
 the heaters to do their work before recording. Try not to leave them outsi=
de overnight. Once dried out, the microphones return to normal operation.

gason@> wrote:

> > Der listers.
> >
> > I am a new member to this list. I have run a blogpage
> > http://hljod.blog.is =96 Icelandic Soundblog. There are recordings of v=
arious
> > natural sounds. They are devided into several categories. See:
> > fuglar (birds), vatni=F0 (water), sj=F3rinn (the sea) umhverfishlj=F3=
=F0 (sounds of
> > the environment) and recently vindurinn (the wind). More categories wil=
l be
> > set up with English names.
> >
> > For some time I have used R=F8de microphones for my recordings: NT-2A +=
NT-55