A strange noise in Rode Nt-1A and NT-2A

Subject: A strange noise in Rode Nt-1A and NT-2A
From: "Arn=FE=F3r Helgason"
Date: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:04 am ((PDT))
Der listers.

I am a new member to this list. I have run a blogpage
http://hljod.blog.is =96 Icelandic Soundblog. There are recordings of vario=
us
natural sounds. They are devided into several categories. See:
fuglar (birds), vatni=F0 (water), sj=F3rinn (the sea) umhverfishlj=F3=F0 (s=
ounds of
the environment) and recently vindurinn (the wind). More categories will be
set up with English names.

For some time I have used R=F8de microphones for my recordings: NT-2A +NT-5=
5
in a MS-setup and NT-1A in NOS or AB setup. The results have been sometimes
outstanding.
Recently the following problem occurred:

Last week I was in a summerhouse and left the microphones outside for whole
night on two occasions. I noticed that as the temperature lowered  and the
dew fell on, something happened. A strange noise appeared. The first night =
had the microphones NT-2A and NT-55 in an MS-setup. Then the NT-2A was
affected and the second night both the NT-1A seemed to fail. Strangely the
microphones seemed to start working as the sun started to shine and warm up
the microphones which were covered with a dead cat. The temperature may hav=
been around 4-5=A8=B0 C and the dew had fallen. The microphones seem to hav=
started to fail after around 90 minutes.
I have created a soundfile with the noise from one of the NT-1A.

Has anyone on this list  had any experience with this? My friend, Magn=FAs
Bergsson, thinks something might be wrong with the cables I used. Some test
shows that they seem to be in order.

The head of the Technical Department of The Icelandic State Radio, Georg
Magn=FAsson,  thought the failure might be caused by the moisture and the l=
ow
temperature.

This makes me to think what to do. I have Senheiser ME-62 and 64 which I
have sometimes used in very harsh conditions, but I think they are a little
too noisy. Until 1 year ago I used a battery pack together with the 62 and
64, but now I have invested in two packs without batteries and the
microphones semm not as noisy as usually. They can however never be compare=
with the NT-2A and NT-1A.

Natural sounds, as of birds, here in Iceland are very low and sometimes
distant.

With very best regards,
Arnthor Helgason

Arnthor Helgason