Re: Olympus LS5, LS7 and Sony M10 internal mics comparison.

Subject: Re: Olympus LS5, LS7 and Sony M10 internal mics comparison.
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:56 am ((PDT))
Good test Marco!

In all three tracks (i.e. judging the quality of the built-in mics)
my choice is 1. M10  2. LS7  3. LS5.  The M10 has much lower noise
levels than both the Olympus models.

I will be very interested to hear your test using external mics,
perhaps the results will be quite different?

Vicki

On 14/07/2012, at 5:38 PM,  wrote:

> Yesterday I received the Olympus LS5, virtually a LS11 without
> accessories, but with the same internal electronics, except for 2GB
> of internal memory instead of 8Gb. I think it might be of some
> interest in a comparison with the Olympus LS7 and the Sony M10.
> I tested these three recorders (in order: Olympus LS5, LS7, Sony
> M10) to verify the quality of their internal microphones. Fine
> tuning of levels in post production was required for LS7 (+4db) and
> for Sony M10 (+4db).
> Setting Rec levels are: LS5 LOW Mic Sense level 10 (range 1,10);
> LS7 MID Mic sense level 7 (range 1,16); M10 HI Mic Sense level 3
> (range 1,10).
> You can find the test on Soundcloud at:
> http://soundcloud.com/marco-pesente/sets/3-recorders-olympusls5
> There are three files: original, 689Hz Hi Pass filtered, Normalized
> after filtered.
> Different from a previous test, I have used a clock in place of a
> wild bird, to avoid as much as possible any background noise.
>
> As previously suggested by Vicki Powys, in a few weeks I will try
> to run a practical test using external electret mics and plug-in-
> power (PIP), probably Primo Em172 microphones in a stereo
> configuration with a single capsule for channel. All will be
> performed simultaneously.
>
> I hope this can help someone in the choice of these little recorders.
> Obviously my tests just want to be of practical tests, with no
> pretense of comparison with the exhaustive table of Raimund in
> Avisoft , it must be clear!

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: