Re: the frustrations of engine noise

Subject: Re: the frustrations of engine noise
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Wed Jul 4, 2012 5:39 am ((PDT))
Hi David,

Thanks as always for your detailed suggestions. I loaded your eq curves into
Audacity a few weeks ago and am just beginning to understand what can be done
with them. Your noise reduction scheme has been very helpful with some of my
old recordings that used very noisy microphones.

Could you say more about directional mics? I'm not sure I understand what you
are suggesting here. It sounds like you are saying that some mics have better
vertical rejection while retaining horizontal acceptance? Is that what you
mean? That would be very useful in so many situations. Would that apply to the
ME66 as well as the MKH-416 (which is way beyond my means)? My problems with
airplane noise have increased since I started recording with omnis in a home
built sass/pbba type array. Getting a second used ME66 is doable and worth
considering if you think that would help reduce noise from the sky.

Thanks to all the others who have joined this thread as well. I'm learning a
lot and very grateful for all of your input.

many thanks,

John