Re: the frustrations of engine noise

Subject: Re: the frustrations of engine noise
From: "jasonpudd" jasonpudd
Date: Tue Jul 3, 2012 2:57 pm ((PDT))
John,

It makes getting the really good recordings that much more special!  Don't =
give up!  I can suggest a few things.

Get some low and high altitude airways charts for your areas.  Cross check =
that with locations.  If the airport is open for arrivals and departures wi=
thing the window of the recording times of your location pick somewhere els=
e to go.  Some airports don't have operations before or after certain times=
, even some of the really big ones.

Go north!  I think you are within range of some lovely areas in Canada and =
Maine!  La Mauricie National Park in Quebec is wonderful with trails and ca=
noe routes (trails areas are definitely quieter) as is Mt. Carlton in New B=
runswick.

I am sure there may be other locations people can suggest in your area too.

Cheers,

Jason

--- In  "John Crockett" <> wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Trying to record soundscapes around southern Vermont has become a very fr=
ustrating experience. I have hours of recordings, and only a few minutes wi=
thout some kind of engine noise: mostly jets, but also prop planes, chainsa=
ws, atvs, cars and trucks and motorcycles, skidders, and who knows what els=
e. It appears that we are in a direct flight path for Logan airport in Bost=
on, so that accounts for a lot of it. These are sounds I have effectively s=
creened out in a lifetime of living here. I have always thought of this pla=
ce as quiet. But turn on the recorder and suddenly all that engine noise co=
mes to the fore. Not quiet at all.

> It makes no sense to me to get in my own noisy car and drive all over the=
 countryside trying to find quiet places. How contradictory is that! I'm no=
t having any luck finding quiet places anyway. This noise has become such a=
 frustration that I am sorely tempted to give up recording altogether, havi=
ng only barely begun.

> How have others dealt with this frustration? How have you worked around i=
t? Anybody have an airplane noise canceling microphone?! Should we be hopin=
g the price of oil goes through the roof?