Re: the frustrations of engine noise

Subject: Re: the frustrations of engine noise
From: "im_rawes" im_rawes
Date: Wed Jul 4, 2012 5:00 am ((PDT))
Hello Vicki and naturerecordists,

In my experience of recording in and around London, traffic rumble can be
attenuated but not eliminated.

Virtually nothing can be done about the drone of jet engines except to avoid
flight paths, which are at least predictable.

I use Izotope RX2 extensively and most often just as a simple editor, because
of its superb spectrogram display which makes it easy to grasp what's going on
in a recording.

It can't work miracles when it comes to removing or attenuating unwelcome noise
- how I wish it was effective at dealing with wind noise! It's alright for very
brief noises, like when you step on a twig and it snaps, or for slightly longer
ones which occur over a very narrow range of frequencies, such as electronic
beeping noises emitted by reversing lorries and so forth.

A London-based wildlife recordist called Richard Beard recently got in touch to
offer the London Sound Survey a large collection of his recordings. A new site
section is being made to accommodate them and should be online in a few weeks.

He makes no attempt to remove traffic or airplane noise because, he says, they
are part of the context. Fewer and fewer aspects of nature exist independently
of us.

Best wishes,
Ian

The London Sound Survey http://www.soundsurvey.org.uk