Re: Advice on Bioacoustic Internships

Subject: Re: Advice on Bioacoustic Internships
From: "mipartitus" mipartitus
Date: Mon Jul 2, 2012 7:39 am ((PDT))
Hi Evelyn,

I would look through abstracts (or full papers if you have access to them) =
of scientific journals like Animal Behaviour, Bioacoustics, Journal of the =
Acoustical Society of America and Ethology, and see what type of work you l=
ike. Then just email the head of the lab. Many animal communication researc=
hers like to underscore links between animal vocalizations and music/speech=
/human behavior, but know little about the latter fields. Even if you do no=
t have a background in science, I think there are certainly groups that are=
 interested in input/interest from the other perspectives and that would su=
pport a project.

I am listening to Krause's book too (bought the audio edition a few days ag=
o). Halfway through. I think it is very interesting and inspiring. Highly r=
ecommend reading/listening for everyone, also for bioacousticians.

Beware though that Krause is spot on with his conclusion that by far the ma=
jority of bioacoustics that has been done so far is about single animals/vo=
calizations, not about the full soundscape that we like to listen to. This =
is despite the fact that the same soundscape also forms the input into the =
animal's ear, so one would think it deserves more scientific attention. So =
unless you come up with a new idea, chances are great that you end up measu=
ring call/song parameters of a bird/frog/dolphin. Also interesting, nothing=
 wrong with that, I do this a lot myself--and perhaps this is exactly what =
you want--but since you are inspired by Krause's book, I would try to take =
it into a different direction.

Good luck, Gabriel