Re: Homebrew Recorder

Subject: Re: Homebrew Recorder
From: "sainganrob" sainganrob
Date: Thu May 31, 2012 7:13 pm ((PDT))

--- In  umashankar <> wrote:

> if you have gain selectable at 10 db intervals over a 60 db range, i see =
no need for gain trimming at all. any small corrections can be done post, w=
ithout losing either sn or dynamic range (the reason one struggled so much =
with levels in the analog days.
> =A0
> four channels would be nice, to do nature recordings in ambisonics.
> =A0
> umashankar

I'm not sure if you're suggesting a 10dB interval 60dB range or mis-reading=
 the proposal of a 10dB interval 30dB range (30 to 60).
Either way, the dynamic range must be affected. For example, with a system =
ceiling of +20dBu, a preamp of 60dB gain could only accomodate a -40dBu inp=
ut. Based against say -130dBu noise, this would be a 130-40 =3D 90dB range.=
 A 30dB gain on the other hand would accomodate a -10dBu input and therefor=
e afford a 130-10 =3D 120dB range.
Signal to noise, dependant on source.

Rob