Re: Homebrew Recorder

Subject: Re: Homebrew Recorder
From: "sainganrob" sainganrob
Date: Thu May 31, 2012 5:25 pm ((PDT))

--- In  Steve Sergeant <> wrot=
e:

> These are all desirable specs.
>
> I'd want to see the battery life indication flexible enough to work with=

> alkaline, lithium, NiMH, and perhaps anything new that comes along in
> the AA form factor.
>
> I'd want to have a pre-set, calibrated input gain that's not affected by=

> an external knob during recording for when I want to be able to reliably=

> determine SPL from recorded signal levels.
>
> I have a couple of suggestions on mechanical design:
> 1) Place all controls and displays on a single panel of the box, and all=

> of the connectors on exactly one other. This makes it easiest to use in
> some kind of protective case.
> 2) Put the batteries in some kind of cartridge carrier, so that you can
> remove an entire carrier full of batteries in one piece, instead of
> fumbling with individual AA cells.

Thanks for that Steve. I totally agree with the controls / connectors place=
ment.
As for the calibrated input gain, the fader was to have a 'nominal' 0dB gai=
n at 12 o'clock, but I'll incorporate an internal trimmer to make it exactl=
y so such that the switchable input gains are effectively calibrated.
As for the battery, I intend 4 AA's inline, but I could oversize the bore s=
uch that you could either insert a preloaded tube of cells or individuals.
Battery indicator, hmmm, can of worms. I'll have to give that some more tho=
ught. Tricky!

Anyway, thanks again Rob