Re: Homebrew Recorder

Subject: Re: Homebrew Recorder
From: "Steve Sergeant" stevesgt
Date: Thu May 31, 2012 4:48 pm ((PDT))
These are all desirable specs.

I'd want to see the battery life indication flexible enough to work with
alkaline, lithium, NiMH, and perhaps anything new that comes along in
the AA form factor.

I'd want to have a pre-set, calibrated input gain that's not affected by
an external knob during recording for when I want to be able to reliably
determine SPL from recorded signal levels.

I have a couple of suggestions on mechanical design:
1) Place all controls and displays on a single panel of the box, and all
of the connectors on exactly one other. This makes it easiest to use in
some kind of protective case.
2) Put the batteries in some kind of cartridge carrier, so that you can
remove an entire carrier full of batteries in one piece, instead of
fumbling with individual AA cells.

On 5/31/12 15:49 PM, sainganrob wrote:
> Hello again to all. First post to the group after a 4 year absence!.
>
> Anyway, here's the thing. I'm lucky enough !? to work for an audio mixer =
manufacturer and for sometime have been thinking about knocking up a 2 chan=
nel recorder specifically aimed at nature recording for myself. So, I've so=
rt of settled on the following spec. and was hoping the group could give it=
 the once over and make any suggestions re- omissions / alternatives etc.