Re: newbie intro and question

Subject: Re: newbie intro and question
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Wed May 23, 2012 2:06 pm ((PDT))
I think for one thing listening back at max volume actually will colour what
you're hearing far too much. You end up hearing the impact of the sound rather
than the subtleties. This goes for all kinds of listening situations of course.
I'd also ask whether recording at full gain will actually have an effect other
than the obvious.

--- In  vickipowys <> wrote:

> A few people have asked, so:
>
> This morning I tried a test with a K6/ME66 mic to a Sound Devices
> recorder with and without phantom power, in a very quiet room with a
> clock ticking softly.  Recording volume was on maximum.
>
> Results:
>
> At max listening volume I cannot hear any difference, and looking at
> a sound spectrogram I cannot see any difference, between phantom
> power and battery power when recording at 44.1 K sample rate.
>
> The same goes for 192,000 K sample rate, with one exception.  There
> is a narrow line at 80 kHz for the battery powered track, but it is
> inaudible of course.
>
> I'm happy to post samples if anyone needs convincing.
>
> cheers,
>
> Vicki
>

> > On 18/05/2012, at 11:39 PM, Flawn Williams wrote:
> >
> >> When mikes perform worse with battery than with phantom, it's
> >> usually an indication that they need a higher voltage for full
> >> dynamic range.
> >>
> >> The ME66 runs on a single AA battery. One way to deliver higher
> >> voltage to the mike is to substitute two smaller batteries in
> >> series. I have not personally tried this on an ME66, so caveat
> >> emptor, but it has worked well for me on other mikes that call for
> >> a AA.
> >>
> >> The batteries you need are 6-volt, and they're half the length of
> >> a AA, and the same diameter, so two of them fit exactly in series
> >> in a AA enclosure. I have used Radio Shack type 23-469, but all
> >> major battery manufacturers have type equivalents for that form
> >> factor.
> >>
> >> --Flawn
> >>
> On 18/05/2012, at 4:59 AM, Gianni Pavan wrote:
>
> > In my experience K6/ME66 are very nice on Phantom Power; with battery
> > power I have some problems:
> > on battery power the noise increases noticeably (by hearing too)
> > starting at 8 kHz and 2 strong peaks appear in the ultrasonic range.
> > See spectra on http://www.unipv.it/cibra/res_techtest_uk.html (at
> > the end).
> > Sennheiser repaired them with little results.
> > A 15 years old K6/ME66 does not increase noise when operating on
> > internal battery, but shows a narrower and lower peak around 35 kHz.
> >
> > Gianni
> >

> > 2012/5/13, Philip Tyler <>:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> When I had a couple of K6/ME66's and I tried the different
> >> powering options
> >> and I thought that the mics were 'nicer' when powered by phantom
> >> from my
> >> MixPre. Rather than when powered by the AA cell when the 'noise' was
> >> 'dirtier' and therefore more noticeable but was probably still
> >> within the
> >> spec.
> >>
> >> My K6/ME66's were returned to Sennheiser as one was noisier than
> >> the other
> >> when powered by an AA cell. They replaced the power unit in the
> >> noisier one
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: