Re: newbie intro and question

Subject: Re: newbie intro and question
From: "Alan Harvey" symmerista
Date: Thu May 10, 2012 5:02 pm ((PDT))
David,

Thanks very much for the info. I was considering the Rode NTG-1 Condenser
Shotgun Microphone ($250), which seems to have gotten good ratings (but for
nature recording? I don't know); it has phantom power, which I think I
understand but again do not know what the implications of phantom power are
for nature recording. Then again, maybe I don't get it; is "self-powered"
the opposite of "phantom powered"? If so, then it sounds like this mike
isn't optimal for me. One thing that hadn't occurred to me was that this
kind of mike probably works best when you point it at the noise-maker, but
being deaf in one ear, I tend not to be the best at precisely orienting
towards sounds! Are headphones used to help orient the mike?

Thanks again!

Alan