Re: What metadata to record?

Subject: Re: What metadata to record?
From: "gweddig" gweddig
Date: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:36 pm ((PDT))
Hi Peter,

I record the following metadata at the top of my recordings:

GPS Coordinates
Elevation
Time
Date
Country
State
City
Park or Preserve (as appropriate)
Location type ie. swamp, forest, riparian area etc
General weather
Any known callers
Direction of mic pattern
Microphone pattern
Recording chain ie. MS into a Grace V3 then SD 744.
Recording levels
If I have a low cut filter in (typically not so I don't mention it unless i=
t's in)
Temperature
Wind speed
Barometric Pressure
Dew Point

It seems like a long list but it only takes a few seconds to get through, o=
nce the GPS has located itself.  It makes logging those recordings a few mo=
nths later sometimes much easier.  Of course sometimes early in the morning=
 I really have to concentrate to remember the year or I'll forget to mentio=
n one.  Some I consider optional like the known callers, if I don't know th=
em or the mic direction.

I generally try to record anything that someone might find useful in 1,000 =
years when they find my recordings under 13m of compacted radioactive ash.

Hope this gets you started.

--greg weddig
http:.//gregweddig.net

--- In  Peter Shute <> wrote:

> I've often seen recordings posted here that list things like wind speed a=
nd temperature as well as the location. What else is useful to record? Wind=
 direction? Humidity? I've never seen anyone mention air pressure.