Re: What metadata to record?

Subject: Re: What metadata to record?
From: "gweddig" gweddig
Date: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:56 pm ((PDT))
For reference I use a Kestrel 3500, it's yellow so it's harder to forget in=
 the field.

--greg

--- In  Peter Shute <> wrote:

> Can anyone comment on whether pressure is a useful thing to record? I'm t=
rying to decide which model weather station to buy, and it seems that every=
 additional capability adds a lot to the cost.

> I think pressure is the main difference between the top Kestrel models an=
d the next lower ones. I'd happily record it if I had one of those, but I d=
on't want to pay extra for something I don't really need.

> Kestrel seems to be a good and popular brand, but expensive. Are there ch=
eaper ones out there that are reliable?

> Peter Shute
>

> --------------------------
> Sent using BlackBerry
>
> ________________________________
> Sent: Tue Apr 24 01:42:38 2012
> Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: What metadata to record?
>

> Hi Peter,
> I checked my portable weather station and it provides dew point and relat=
ive humidity, both of which I record on the head of my recording or the "st=
art".
> I typically just run through all of the data points my weather station pr=
ovides in order, I normally skip "wind chill" and "heat index".

> Many times where I am recording there is no apparent prevailing wind or i=
t's very light which often is hard to tell. Many times I am getting no wind=
speed reading at all. Early morning the wind tends to be calm.

> Like I said I'm not sure how vital all of these datapoints are but I reco=
rd them regardless.

> Ultimately I am out there to record the audio environment, I'm sure there=
 are other measurements I could be taking but I don't stress too much about=
 not getting a particular reading exact.