Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp

Subject: Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:42 am ((PDT))
yes, indeed.

I think, following the reply I just posted, one things i'd say, in terms of
what interests me anyway, is that I personally don't do the 'cheat' thing. For
me, aside from the fact that we are using mics & recorders that are in purist
terms cheats to listening, then what fascinates me is the sounds as they are.

As mentioned, my particular reason for asking about extra gain is in relation
to spatial acoustics that are on the very, very edge of what we can actually
hear.

Martyn - ditto the works from Greg about your work of course. I think something
of a shift is / has taken place in recent years with field recording (though it
returns it closer to its initial purpose, namely the recording of human
activity) & perhaps this can be best put as that we are nature too & so
recording the structures we build or the sounds we humans produce is part of
nature itself. I put this as a question rather than a statement but perhaps
some of the problems we've created as a species are to do with the fact that we
have a 'them & us' attitude towards the rest of nature.

I find this yahoo group a great source of info & even when i'm not looking for
any, the fact that its here & has folks talking about all kinds of subjects, is
an inspiration to lots of folks.

sorry if my acoustic science enquiries ruffled any feathers :) (joke !)

ta.

--- In  Martyn Stewart <> wrote:

> I get that, Greg but I walked into a conversation that included a superb
> set-up in itself. Using the Sound devices recorders and sennheiser
> microphones. As this group is about nature recording, I just wanted to make
> sure there was something missing here. I would hate someone to go out and
> purchase expensive gear on top of what they already have and is quite capable
> of recording high-end material.
>
> If we are talking about microphones that are on the cheaper-side of
> technology then is the more gain not going to make things sound worse?
>
> Anyway, Thank you for the kind words.....
>

> Martyn
> *************************************
> Martyn Stewart
> www.naturesound.org
> www.soundofcritters.com
>
> Redmond  WA
> 425-898-0462
>
> 47.65420118705451
> -121.98158740997314
>
> Make every garden a wildlife habitat
> **************************************
> Listen to the Birds and the Bees at
> http://naturesound.libsyn.org/
> View a Nature Recordists Blog!
>
> http://naturesound.org/Blog/Blog.html
>
> http://naturesound.org/this_weeks_recordings/this_weeks_recordings.html
>
> Follow me on AudioBoo
> feed://audioboo.fm/users/31466/boos.atom
>

> Listen to my sounds on Facebook:
> http://tinyurl.com/ye2dw7p
>
> My dropbox for files:
> https://dropbox.yousendit.com/Naturesound
>
>  P please consider the environment before printing this email
>
> On Apr 18, 2012, at 9:28 PM, Gregory O'Drobinak wrote:
>
> > Martyn:
> >
> > Perhaps what Jez is alluding to is the fact that many of us are
> > phonographers
> > trying to capture particular aspects of spaces or environments outside the
> > realm
> > of just nature recording. Recording the ambient sounds of a deserted museum
> > gallery, for instance; there is a wealth of tiny sounds that one doesn't
> > normally hear until you really crank up the mic gain in that space. That
> > said,
> > the aspect of 'tranquility' may or may not be a valid signifier for the
> > space to
> > be captured. Again, beauty is in the mind of the beholder.
> >
> > It is indeed the case that after a certain point, the amount of
> > amplification
> > needed will start to make the mic's self-noise apparent and so one reaches
> > the
> > point of diminishing returns. But that should be left to the recordist to
> > deal
> > with either in situ or in post. I must say, however, that there was a time
> > two
> > years ago when I was recording nature sounds at Crex Meadows that made me
> > wish I
> > had another 6 - 10 dB of gain on my FR2-LE.
> >
> > Martyn, you are a superb recordist with the ability to set up and
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: