Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp

Subject: Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:40 pm ((PDT))
I bought the same soundfield ST450 that Chris uses, I spoke with Chris and =
he said that he was happy with the setup but it is not a mic I would use in=
 a quieter environment for sure. Its self noise is far too noisy, If you we=
re to crank up that mic all you would be doing is increasing the noise that=
 is made of the mic like many others out there.

I ditched that set up and bought the Schoeps Double MS set up and found it =
far superior to quieter environments but I still fail to see the need to ja=
ck up the gain like you explain here. One of the more quieter microphones i=
n the field, the MKH-20 and the 8020 will still amplify their self noise if=
 the gain is increased.
In 40 plus years of working in sound, I have never really understood the ne=
ed to amplify the sound of tranquility to what it actually sounds like in r=
eality.
Of course you couldn't really increase analog recordings in the old days wi=
thout producing tape hiss.

Martyn
Martyn Stewart
www.naturesound.org