Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp

Subject: Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:20 am ((PDT))
I must admit that in all the time I have used the Sound Devices series of r=
ecorders, I have never had to worry about using extra gain, The Sennheiser =
MKH series microphones are calibrated to my needs, I use one specific setti=
ng on the rotary pots and this has been sufficient from day one. What could=
 you possibly be recording that you need to jack up the gain so much? I use=
 a 552 mixer when i'm on location with a film crew only. Recording nature, =
I try to listen with my ears first of the ambient sound and then set the he=
adphone gain to match what I am hearing. If you need more gain later, incre=
ase the gain in post production.

With direct cabling from MKH30/40, after setting MS for stereo, I set my To=
ne Level on the 722/788t at -30dB. Then set input level at 56.7dBA (by adju=
sting the rotary pot just to the left of the "menu" button and viewing the =
momentary reading on the screen). Because the Sennheiser  have virtually no=
 variation between mics in the MKH series, this  provides a standard calibr=
ated input level of 64dBA relative to a -30dB meter reading and will result=
s in accurate assessment of signal ranges for later analysis.

Martyn
Martyn Stewart
www.naturesound.org
www.soundofcritters.com