Re: sound quality problem with Soundcloud

Subject: Re: sound quality problem with Soundcloud
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:12 pm ((PDT))
Very many thanks to all those who responded to my query re Soundcloud
sound quality (John Tudor, John Hartog, Raimund, Peter Shute, Andrew
Skeoch, Mike Rooke, David Brinicombe).

I see now that the problem is with the playback mechanism used by
Soundcloud, not with the actual sound file.

John Hartog's was a good tip to roll off the upper frequencies above
16 k to help avoid artifacts in playback, if playback was my no. 1
objective.

I enjoyed listening to your ultrasonic insects, Mike and Raimund!

David, we do have one bat species locally that is audible to humans,
it calls at around 12-13 kHz, the White-striped Freetail Bat.  All
the others are ultrasonic.  My (now working) pair of MKH 8020s have
been great for bat recording as their frequency response goes up to
70 kHz.  I can check a 15 minute recording in a single sonogram using
Izotope RX, to see where the bat calls have occurred.  (No shrews nor
ultrasonic night insects locally, to confuse with the bat calls :-)

cheers,

Vicki

On 21/03/2012, at 2:07 PM, Andrew Skeoch wrote:

> Hi Vicki,
>
> Soundcloud convert all audio to 128kbps mp3 format for use on the
> site. Your original format is stored available for download (if you
> enable that option). Hence anything played from their site will be
> the 'internet quality' mp3 encoding (which would certainly explain
> the degradation in SQ) (Obviously it can't be your raw flac format
> being played as flac won't play in browsers).
>
> I just had a look at their latest upload page which no longer
> states that this re-coding will take place, as it used to on their
> older layout.  However this explains the issue:
> http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/topics/109407-uploading-
> transcoding/articles
>
> Best,
> Andrew