Re: new research on ocean noise and blue whales

Subject: Re: new research on ocean noise and blue whales
From: "misha.volf" misha.volf
Date: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 am ((PDT))
Hey Bernie,

perhaps a side note question related to terminology. I know in your own wri=
ting you prefer the term 'anthrophony', whereas elsewhere folks use 'anthro=
pogenic noise.'

How do you (or do you?) distinguish between the two?

I'm currently working on a thesis paper where I plan to use your primary so=
urces, and want to make sure that I use the proper terminology.

thanks!
misha

--- In  Bernie Krause <> wrote:

> I agree, John. Lots of stuff published on this issue, though. Early
> studies from Woods Hole (late 80s early 90s) addressed LF transmission =

> masking in both blue in the Pacific and right whales in the Atlantic. =

> The issue: there seemed to be problems with some early global warming =

> acoustic study models, especially when a signal was introduced around =

> Big Sur, CA and picked up in Australia to test for arrival times. Had =

> a HUGE effect on LF whale communication. I served as a member of one
> of the NOAA oversight committees. Ken Balcomb, in Friday Harbor, WA,
> works closely w/ killer and Curvier beaked whales and has published
> extensively on marine anthrophony and its effects on all types of
> marine organisms.
>
> Bernie
>
> On Mar 2, 2012, at 12:38 PM, hartogj wrote:
>
> > Hi Bernie,
> > I know you hold special place in your heart for whales, plus you are =

> > a persevering scientist, so I would expect no less.
> >
> > What seems to be new information in the research paper I linked to
> > is that mid-frequency (1000Hz - 8Khz) anthropogenic noise affects
> > low-frequency (<100Hz)blue whale communication behavior.  One small =

> > step in a wide body of research, yet perhaps a noteworthy moment.
> >
> > John Hartog
> > rockscallop.org
> >

> > --- In  Bernie Krause <chirp@>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Lots about that and the specific effects of noise in both marine and
> >> terrestrial habitats in my new book, John. Chapter and verse.
> >>
> >> Bernie Krause

-you-hear-me-now-human-noise-disrupts-blue-whale-communication/