Re: Opinions on AT 4022 Mic and ATI ML200 Pre-Amp

Subject: Re: Opinions on AT 4022 Mic and ATI ML200 Pre-Amp
From: "robin_parmar_sound" robin_parmar_sound
Date: Thu Mar 1, 2012 12:06 pm ((PST))
I can't believe I didn't notice the power requirements for the amp in question!
Makes all the rest of the info I provided fairly redundant.

Gregory O'Drobinak wrote:

> As for the noise floor of the ML200, the specs say -124 dBm
> for Ein. That is a measure for a signal into
> a 600 ohm termination, such as line level
> balanced inputs of pro consoles, that equates
> to 0.64 microvolts. When you do the
> conversion to dBu, it becomes -122 dBu. This
> is equivalent to the noise floor of a Sony PCM-M10

I should note that the spec for the PCM-M10 is A-weighted while that for the
pre-amp is full scale. Depending on the actual noise frequencies present, this
puts the amp several dB quieter.

John Moore wrote:

> You might consider going a different route: sell
> the DR-100 and buy a Fostex FR-2 LE, which has
> great pre-amps and powers the AT4022's quite well.

You can't got wrong with that recorder! This sounds like a much more practical
solution. Bring lots of spare batteries.

-- Robin Parmar