Re: Olympus announces LS-100 field recorder

Subject: Re: Olympus announces LS-100 field recorder
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 am ((PST))
John Crockett wrote

> I just found this information about battery life on the Olympus America A=
udio Blog.

> In case the columns don't line up, that's 2h 45m for 48V phantom, PCM at =
Message: 44.
Subject: 1kH/16bit. Far short of 12 hours. I suppose with a couple of spares
and =
an external charger that might be doable, but it's a bit disappointing to m=
e. I'm waiting to hear from Olympus about mic capsule specs.

Hi John,

The LS-100 comes with a tiny 3.7V/925mAh Li-ion battery (the larger interna=
l battery of the TASCAM DR-100 is 3.7V/1800mAh). One can therefore not expe=
ct a very long battery life with phantom-powered mics. That limitation is s=
imply set by the available battery technologies that no one will currently =
be able to overcome.

So, if you need a longer battery life, you will either need to carry additi=
onal USB power packs or you had to choose a larger recorder such as a Foste=
x FR-2LE or SD7xx.

I still have not examined the noise level of the internal mics of the LS-10=
Message: 0.
Subject: In contrast to the SONY PCM-M10, they are cardioids. So, I guess that
th=
ey will be slightly more noisy (similar to the ones in the SONY PCM-D50). B=
ecause they are cardioids, they will also need more decent wind screens. I =
already tried the recorder in my backyard without any windscreen and got he=
avy wind noise even if there was only a gentle breeze...

Regards,
Raimund

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional