Re: Olympus announces LS-100 field recorder

Subject: Re: Olympus announces LS-100 field recorder
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am ((PST))
Thank you for posting this. I've been wondering. Does anyone know yet how t=
he internal mic capsules on the LS-100 compare to the PCM-M10? If the mics =
are as good as or better than the PCM-M10 this could be the most versatile =
recorder to date. Battery life will be critical though.

John

--- In  "oryoki2000" <> wrote:

> Avisoft Bioacoustics has posted input noise tests for the LS-100.  The re=
sults put the recorder in good company:

> Equivalent Input Noise, dBu (A-weighted)
> Sony PCM-D50     -126dBu=20=09
> Marantz PMD661   -125dBu=20=09
> Olympus LS-100   -125dBu=20=09
> Roland R-26    -124dBu
>
> See http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm
>
> The LS-100 is cheaper than the other recorders in this short list by abou=
t 20%, or $100 USD.

> I'm waiting for confirmation that the LS-100's battery will last 10-12 ho=
urs while providing phantom power to external mics, as Olympus claims in th=
e recorder's specifications.  If true, the LS-100's battery would last twic=
e as long as the others listed above.

> I presume these results are for the LS-100's XLR input.  It would be inte=
resting to see the result for the 3.5mm mic input to learn if the LS-100 pr=
eamp offers any advantage over the LS-11 for mics that use plug-in power.