Re: M10 noise removal, was Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoor

Subject: Re: M10 noise removal, was Sony PCM-M10 vs Zoom H4n best for outdoor
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:30 pm ((PST))
I've posted a "noise only" sample to Soundcloud. I'll stop calling it hiss =
for now:
http://soundcloud.com/petershute/120202-01pcmm10silence

I haven't had time to take the recorder anywhere truly quiet to record a be=
tter sample, so this was done at home with doors and windows closed, sandwi=
ched between two cushions with a blanket over the top. I'm sure there's ple=
nty of sound from outside in the recording, but at least I've reduced it.

The spectrum analysis in Audacity says it's all below 9kHz, with a peak bel=
ow 500Hz which might be noise from outside that I couldn't block. Very inte=
rested to hear opinions about the nature of the noise.

I also did a similar recording with the level turned right down. There was =
similar noise, but of much, much lower volume. I assume this proves it's no=
t preamp noise?

I've also uploaded the latest attempt at reducing the noise:
http://soundcloud.com/petershute/111229-03nr5

With 30dB reduction, I've not been very gentle with the recording, so I'm i=
nterested to know what others find wrong with it. The untouched recording f=
or comparison is at:
http://soundcloud.com/petershute/111229-03brandyck

Concerning my hearing, I took my audiologist's word that I've got little he=
aring above 8kHz, but I played with tone generation in audacity just now, a=
nd I can hear up to 15kHz, but I can't really quantify how well except that=
 it's nowhere near as good as at 8. I note that she didn't test above 8.

Perhaps I'm playing it back louder than she would have in a test too. Inter=
estingly, at a level at which I can clearly hear 15000Hz, 15100 is just not=
 there. I'm probably running into equipment limitations too.

Peter Shute