Re: wind protection options - any firm data?

Subject: Re: wind protection options - any firm data?
From: "Gordon Hempton" pipestonecanyon
Date: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:42 am ((PST))
I feel most windscreens are overrated and are designed for people who must
work quickly.  Most places that I have recorded, unless they are tundra or
prairie, offer small pockets of still air to position the microphones. If
you have the time, study the plant leaves.  Keep looking and you will find
places where the leaves hardly move-that is where I setup.  These unusual
places offer unusual perspectives, too.  But there are some places that the
hunt can go on forever-like prairies-and  then I use a home made windscreen=
.
I have used all kinds of wind protection including the expensive Rycote and
DPA systems.  My favorite is an inverted waste paper basket bought at Offic=
Max that has a metal bottom but the side are mesh, large mesh.  The open
"top" (now bottom) fits on the ground allowing the cables to leave and the
whole thing is covered by hogs hair outer shield, the same material used fo=
rain screen.  This system is proven storm-worthy.  I recorded the high spee=
chuffs of a Black 5 steam locomotive in England with this unit.  I was
strapped on the front of the Black 5 and then I held the microphones in the
waste paper basket just in front of the stack. and then the engineer of
Black 5 took off down the tracks!  I looked absolutely ridiculous to
bystanders, I know, but it did the job.-Gordon

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
http://www.pctools.com/
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D