Re: Nature recordists group

Subject: Re: Nature recordists group
From: "Volker Widmann" volwid
Date: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:08 am ((PST))
Hi David,

in addition to Dan's reply I would like to mention that people are especial=
ly partial if it comes to playback.
My experiece is that playback will change the bird's state of mind in a way=
 that his vocalisation is more hectic or upset than normal, aestetically no=
t pleasing to most people.
The further you are away from the scene, the more natural the wildlife will=
 behave.
If you find a good spot, unattended recording might give you the best resul=
ts.
When looking for a good spot, you would have to think like a critter. In my=
 experience transitional biotopes are most interesting: river banks, forest=
 edges, clearings, cliffs, forest ponds, marsh islands and so on.
And not to forget the weather: In my experience bad weather influences voca=
lisation a lot. Would you be lilting away happily after a stormy day or if =
you knew a storm was coming? Most birds wouldn't!
And of course you need time and patience! Come to the same place at differe=
nt times of the day and year. Wander around while recording, so you'll know=
 what's going on in the surroundings.
And one final tip: Talk to locals! They can tell you where the frogs are ge=
tting on their nerves at night, where you find that odd nightingale or wher=
e the foxes bark.

I hope this gives you an idea

Volker