Re: Sony PCM-M10 - decent external stereo mic?

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 - decent external stereo mic?
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 am ((PST))
If you have a chance to compare the noise level of the NT4 to the internal =
mics on the PCM-M10, using something like the ticking clock test, that woul=
d be useful information for me. The NT4 is my primary mic right now, and I =
have considered getting the M10, but probably won't if the internal mics ar=
e worse than or merely equal to the Rode NT4.

I use the NT4 with a Sony MZRH1 minidisc and have had good results. I do re=
commend Rob Danielson's cable modification, if your cable has the -12dB pad=
. It requires a steady hand with the soldering iron, but is not difficult.

I have had even better results, however, using a pair of modified Hosa MIT-=
156 impedance matching cables with the NT4s stereo xlr cable. These can be =
had for about $17.00 each. The benefit is a few more dB improvement in the =
signal to noise ratio, in my experience. The trick is that the cables have =
to be modified. The cable comes in a mono to stereo configuration (mono mic=
 signal divided into both stereo channels). I resoldered the stereo mini pl=
ugs so that one cable is wired to the tip of the plug, and the other cable =
is wired to the ring of the plug. One cable becomes a left channel and one =
cable a right channel adapter. Then I fed those two plugs into a stereo y-a=
dapter that plugs into the stereo mic input on the recorder. This has worke=
d very well for me.

I have not noticed any improvement in the NT4 using phantom power instead o=
f the 9 volt battery, but I have not tested that extensively.

John

John L. Crockett

Let us live in harmony with the Earth
And all creatures