Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10

Subject: Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10
From: "NormanD" nrdavies.jim71
Date: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:46 pm ((PST))
Hi Arwen,

I've been following this conversation and suddenly clicked with what I thin=
k you could solve your cost V quality problem with.

I bought a pair of these:=20=09
Shure Microflex Wired Boundary Microphone - MX391 ( on ebay )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130614482589?ssPageName=3DSTRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=
=3Dp3984.m1438.l2649

after reading a conversation here about them.

They are very quiet microphones, by comparison with anything near this pric=
e. They are omni mics and sound great. The low frequencies are pretty loud =
so a bass roll off at the input stage is a good idea. I don't know anything=
 about your recorder so I'll let someone else comment.

These mics are a one-off offer, so I'd suggest you make up your mind pretty=
 quick. There are post here in the archive that discuss them, from about 6 =
months ago or so.

I got mine wired up to a stereo 3.5mm plug in very quick time, and I'm chuf=
fed to bits with them, for the money.

Good luck with all the decisions,

norman.

--- In  "Arwen B. Ximenes" <> w=
rote:

> > Beware of specs. "Self noise" is often quoted but is often
> > meaningless because it is not defined.
>
> OK, this is good to know.
>
> > The reason I suggested high output mics - that is output in mV/Pa SPL
> > (millivolts per Pascal sound pressure level) not the maximum
> > possible - is that the input amp hiss on any affordable recorder is
> > going to be audible unless swamped by a high gain mic. For instance
> > the Sennheiser ME66 gives a beefy 50 mV/Pa. The Nady SGM12 is about 5
> > mV/Pa or 20dB lower.
>
> Looking at Rob Danielson's mic comparison chart is confusing me - because=
 a lot of the mics *appear* to have relatively low sensitivity (to the ME66=
, for example), and when all's said and done high self noise too. The Rode =
Videomic Oryoki suggests is only 15 mV/Pa... and has a self noise figure of=
 20 dB(A). It might be my best bet for getting started though.

> > Also forgot my usual advice to use a bass cut. You can put the bass
> > back in again if needed with a sound editor like Audacity but it often
> > prevents wind or handling noise spoiling the recording.
>
> This is new to me - is this done via the recorder?
>
> > > I'm still not clear on the advantages/uses of stereo vs mono.
> >
> > Suffice it to say that once you've recorded in stereo you won't want
> > to go back to mono. :-)
>
> OK, I think mono will be OK for most of my initial requirements anyway, t=
hough not sure about the migrating birds, I had thought that for later anal=
ysis mono would be more suitable.