Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10

Subject: Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:03 am ((PST))
> I'll hang around on ebay and see if I have any luck. Not sure how else to=
 get 2nd hand.

That can work.

> I have thought about the pick up angle again and yes, it would be better =
to be able to block out creek noise for one of my projects.

No directional mic can "block out" environmental sounds. It's all a matter =
of the ratio of wanted to unwanted sound. More directional mics give you mo=
re of what you want and less of what you don't, but no mic isolates. Simple=
 distance works better than any directivity, by the way. An omni mic up clo=
se to a source will sound better than any directional mic.

> Maybe I'll have to get two different set ups in the end anyway.

Think about the parallel with photography. Do you see a professional photog=
rapher using one lens for everything? He or she will have a bag full for di=
fferent purposes. Same thing with mics.

-Dan